What's the most iconic U2 lyric?

• What's the most iconic U2 lyric?

What IS the most iconic U2 lyric?

“You say love is a temple, love a higher law / You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl / And I can’t be holding on to what you got when all you got is hurt." - One

“It’s no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest / It’s no secret ambition bites the nails of success / Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief / All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief.” - The Fly

That's just a couple of lyric snippets. What U2 lyric is your favorite and should be in the category of the most iconic?

#Lyrics

But it's no coincidence, basically every song that's on POP has great lyrics.

"And you never felt wanted till you'd someone slap your face So you never felt alive until you'd almost wasted away"

Also, I love the part about the key in "The First Time"

"My father is a rich man He wears a rich man’s cloak Gave me the keys to his kingdom Gave me a cup of gold He said ’i have many mansions And there are many rooms to see’ But I left by the back door And I threw away the key... "

It's kinda' late so I can not possibly remember every song in which lyrics are far better than amazing (which they usually are in every song they write) but 2 more come to mind.

Running To Stand Still (title is awesome too)

"You got to cry without weeping Talk without speaking Scream without raising your voice"

And from my fav album Achtung Baby!

"Nothin' much to say I guess Just the same as all the rest Been trying to throw your arms around the world And a woman needs a man Like a fish needs a bicycle When you're tryin' to throw your arms around the world"
    • Welcome to the forum, Phisto!

Yes, Pop had TONS of great lyrics. To be so disappointed at first listen, I have truly fallen in love with Pop! Thanks for reminding us of these fantastic songs!